Thursday 1 November 2012

Top Python Web Frameworks - Today

Every once in a while it's nice to rediscover old friends. Over the last few years I've had a play with quite a few Python Web Frameworks, but one does tend to get a favourite and stick with it. Same as other areas I suppose - cars, dogs, beers, partners... Still, it's good to have a look at what's new and fresh once in a while (my wife doesn't care, but don't tell my dog.)

example of Python language
example of Python language (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
If you look around the internet, there are probably thirty or so Python Web Frameworks around, but not all of them are actively supported. This means that they are likely to be missing functionality in some of the latest latest areas of interest - OAuth2, HTML5 or mobile support for example. Or maybe they just don't make it easy to stuff that you have become used to over the last few years - AJAX or web services maybe.

In my previous post "My Top Ten Python Web Frameworks" from about 18months ago, I gave you my opinion of what was hot, or not, at that time. Some of those seem to have stalled now - Tipfy, GAE framework, Weblayer; while others have appeared or matured - kiss.py, web.py, wheezy.web.

Below is an alphabetic list of the active (updated this year) which I know about. There may be others out there, so please let me know in the comments at the bottom.
In my next few posts I'll be giving you a run down of what state each of them is in and try to give you some idea of how they fit your requirements.

Good luck fellow traveller.


No comments:

Post a Comment